Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Robert Fenton, Clarence White, and Edward Steichen

I'm studying, History of Photography to be exact. I have a big test in class tomorrow. I didn't do so hot on the last one... whoops. (I could be studying harder)

I'm so aggravated with life. It's just been one of those days, you know? And it was triggered by facebook.

Sometimes I feel like all the media today is slowly killing my generation. I mean, we can't go a day without checking our facebook, updating our tweets, reading celebrity gossip or blogging. (yes, I said blogging) We use all of our social networking websites to define us. We're "friends" with hundreds of people, half of which are only to stalk them later. There is actually an increase in anxiety and depression in today's teens and young adults. And it's been proven to all relate back to social networking.

How often have I thought, "Oh my gosh, he didn't text me within two minutes. What does that mean?!" or the occasional, "Is her status directed toward me?" It's ridicules how much this stupid thing, this computer, controls our lives.

A few weeks ago in sacrament meeting, my Bishop gave a little lesson. He asked us to tune out the screens. How often do we sit in church and check facebook, or pintrest? We really can't go three hours without being updated on everyone's life? We have a fascination with informing everyone on our every waking moment, as if being "cool" on facebook is what really matters in life.

I know this is a stupid post and I know that I am guilty of everything that I have just discussed. We all are. And sometimes, if we just say it outloud, or write it we realize how unimportant the things that are bothering us are.

I cannot change the past and I cannot plan the future. I can life for the moment and take the things that come my way one little step at a time.

Keep clam and carry on - it really is what it's all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment